Thursday, January 24, 2008

New Semester, New Struggles...

Well, the title is pretty self explanatory. It's a brand new semester accompanied by some brand new struggles. First off, putting my faith first isn't going to be the easiest thing for me. Believe it or not, i can actually be a fairly shy person and i really don't like to offend anyone. Standing up for my faith means that, most likely, I'm going to offend someone somewhere down the line. That is why I am becoming a part of InterVarsity. I think this campus ministry will really help me grow in my faith and be able to stand up for God in every circumstance. Our topic this semester will be "Get Real, Not Religious". Great topic for what's going on in my life right now! Basically, get real not religious means being real with yourself and your faith. Sometimes we get stuck into religious stereotypes and we feel that we must change to fit that perfect Christianity mold. That's not really true. God created us, flaws and all, for a reason. We have unique personalities and experiences that should help us further spread the word of our Heavenly Father. Getting real means getting out there, standing up for your faith whether it be in a casual conversation with a friend or a discussion in class with a professor. Don't shut up just because you're afraid that people will think you're a freak for having faith in God. This will really test me this semester. I have a strong faith in God, i trust Him and i put my life in Him but i am ashamed to say that i don't always stand up for him. I don't openly pray for m y food in the cafeteria because i am afraid of the way people may perceive me. I don't openly pray at night because i am afraid that my roommate or someone else may become offended. I don't stand up for God in social situations, and that really bugs me. For instance, i was watching TV with Audra before winter break and a commercial came on about the true meaning of the season. Basically the commercial was about Jesus' birth and how he is our savior. After the commercial Audra was kind of disgusted and said something along the lines of, "I hate that commercial. You're not religious or anything are you?" Instead of saying, "That commercial shows us how we should celebrate the holidays and i am a firm believer in Christ" i simply said, "No". So that is just one of my struggles this semester: Not being afraid to speak up for my God and show that He is among us and He is an Almighty God and i have complete faith in him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it would be really great if you could keep me and my boyfriend out of your lil blogg. thing. you clame your so religious but you drink, have done drugs, have sex and shack up with a guy. i dont understand brook. i dont say bad things about you ever so if you want to bring me up dont bring me up in a lame blog that you think iw ill never see, and as for ryan he diserves it i know, but writing it down is not going to back it better. maybe if you stood up for yourself every once in a while you wouldnt have so many problems. and by yourself i mean you not god...god cant help you untill you help yourself